Firearms Transfers

Taking ownership of a firearm from a Federal Firearms License holder (FFL) or out-of-state individual requires that you meet all eligibility requirements, complete one or more applications (which we’ll cover) and pass a background check. A transfer occurs when a Federal Firearms Licensee (FFL) or private individual transfers ownership of a firearm to a new party. We will discuss the process in detail for each type of transfer and firearm.

The legal transfer of firearms is regulated by the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives (BATFE or ATF in short). The State of Maryland has additional definitions and restrictions that apply and regulations are enforced by the Maryland State Police.

Types of Transferrable Firearms in Maryland

Long Gun

– A bolt action rifle or shotgun.
– A semi-automatic rifle with an overall length of at least 29″ and is not banned per statute.

Regulated Firearm

In the state of Maryland, a regulated firearm is a handgun or lower receiver of a firearm that can be built into a handgun. A handgun is defined in Maryland law as a firearm with a barrel length of less than 16″. All handguns must be listed on the Handgun Roster.


Firearms and weapons covered by the National Firearms Act (NFA) include Short-Barreled Rifles (SBR), Short-Barreled Shotguns (SBS), Suppressors, Machine Guns, Destructive Devices and Any Other Weapons (AOW).

Field Traders LLC is a Type 07 FFL/ Class 2 SOT and Maryland Regulated Firearms Dealer.


We offer an electronic form 4473 so you won’t need to fill out any paper forms !

All firearms transfers require an ATF form 4473 NICS background check.

We will provide a NICS background check in-store while you wait for long gun transfers and sales, Upon approval of a background check, the long gun can be transferred. This is usually considered “cash-and-carry”.

Regulated firearms transfers require both an ATF 4473 and a form 77R submission to the Maryland State Police. The Maryland State Police will perform an extensive background investigation, and the transfer can occur after a 7 day waiting period and no dis-approval from the Maryland State Police.

Handgun Qualification License

A valid Handgun Qualification License (HQL) is required for a Maryland resident to purchase or receive a handgun that was manufactured after 1986.

Handguns that are Curios and Relics (C&R) eligible do not require an HQL.

Lower receivers do not require an HQL.

What should I bring ?

Permanent Maryland Residents should bring a valid government issued identification card with your picture and current address. If the address on your identification is not current, a valid change of address card is required.

If an HQL is required for your regulated firearm purchase, bring in your HQL.

Form 77R can be completed online from your home and does not expire. If you are completing the 77R before coming in, you will need to bring the Application ID and PIN number that is emailed to you.

Buy Online, Send to us!

Sometimes there are online deals that are too good to pass up, or you want to purchase a firearm from an individual in another state. We are here to ease the process of firearms ownership and do not discourage buying firearms online – in fact we encourage it!

We accept transfers from Individuals and FFL holders. Fill out the Transfer Request form at the link below to let us know, and we’ll take it from there !

Transfer Request Form


This site contains our internal polices and procedures regarding the laws and regulations governed by the BATFE and State of Maryland. Nothing on this site legal advice.